POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slightly faster VRand_On/In_Sphere() : Re: Slightly faster VRand_On/In_Sphere() Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slightly faster VRand_On/In_Sphere()
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Nov 2003 16:28:44
Message: <cjameshuff-FFFF7F.16272608112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fad31ab@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> Rune <run### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> > Now the question is: Is the 9% speed increase worth the hassle with the
> > backwards compatibility issue? I'm not for or against, I just want to
> > make sure that the issue is being considered.
>
>   Probably not worth.
>
>   To get a speed boost you can simply copy the macro from the include
> file to your scene file. This should noticeably increase its speed due
> to how POV-Ray parses macros in include files.

A speed boost, but for a different reason. This new version is indeed
faster (by 12% by my measurements...call it 10%). It's also shorter and
easier to understand. I doubt there would be very many scenes that would
be adversely affected. The macro versions defined could be made
conditional on the POV-Ray #version, or just left alone with slightly
modified names. It's a small improvement, but I think it would be worth
it...assuming the macros can be proven to work right. (They seem to,
from my measurements, but I haven't proven it.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/