POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Extrusion Question : Re: Image Extrusion Question Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Extrusion Question
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Oct 2003 00:59:40
Message: <cjameshuff-FDB4E2.00574429102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f9f529736b6a6bb3c1dcda40@news.povray.org>,
 "Kronix" <kro### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I have a black and white image, say for instance, a white circle on a black
> background.  Is there a simple way to create an object by extruding the
> white circle (lying in, say, the xy plane) some distance along the z-axis?
> This would, of course, create a cylinder along the z-axis.  In other words,
> how can I extrude portions of a b&w imagemap?

A start would be a height field. This is far from ideal, however...the
sides of the cone will be vertical surfaces of the height field, and
there will be severe tessellation artifacts. Alternatively, you could
use the image as input as the function for an isosurface...use the image
in an image_pattern image function, and use interpolation. (Isosurfaces
don't handle the infinite gradients between non-interpolated pixels very
well.)

> Say I change my 2-bit imagemap into a 16-bit grayscale imagemap.  Can I now
> extrude my image in the z-direction... only associate a transparency with
> each pixel value?  Black might be completely transparent, while white would
> be totally opaque, etc.

I think what you're really looking for here can be had by using the
image_map as the density for scattering media in a box.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/