POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces : Re: heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Jun 2003 15:41:56
Message: <cjameshuff-FCCEA0.14332810062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee624d9@news.povray.org>,
 Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> I was referring to that black-spots-problem.
> There is a faint grid structure visible, but I don't see any
> discontinuities. There should't be any, unless there is a bug in my code.

The discontinuities I mentioned are in the normals, not the surface. The
function is continuous, but not all its derivatives are. That's why you
can see sharp changes in shading. The Perlin noise function used to have
a similar problem, I wanted to see the code to see if a similar fix
could be implemented for interpolation.

> btw, what would be the correct group for this?
> .programming or .unofficial.patches?

The scene code should go in povray.binaries.programming. The other two
groups are for discussion.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/