POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PowerMac G5 implications : Re: PowerMac G5 implications Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PowerMac G5 implications
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Jun 2003 19:06:40
Message: <cjameshuff-FCBE51.17552024062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ef88efe$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

> Yeah, I notice that POV uses lots of pointers
> inside scene object structures. I'm wondering of some
> of them can be collapsed to bitmask flags with a
> pointer tacked onto the object only if its associated
> bit flag is on.

Ugh...

Yes, I suppose you *could* do this. It depends on whether you value
processor or memory more. It would add overhead to check all those
flags, as well as code complexity making the program harder to maintain
and extend, and increasing worst-case memory consumption, all for very
little benefit. Memory usage could be improved in places, and data
structures shifted around for more efficient general use, but I don't
think this idea will be useful for anything but than the most
memory-hungry structures.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/