POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : without light, why are my objects not black : Re: without light, why are my objects not black Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: without light, why are my objects not black
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Jul 2003 19:29:20
Message: <cjameshuff-FC065E.18262709072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f0c91c95c737d0e9cfc34200@news.povray.org>,
 "oldmicah" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Still no luck.  Looking at Woods.inc, I don't see that they have zero'd out
> the ambient in the textures, so I'm guessing that I will have to manually
> copy and paste bits from woods.inc and roll my own wood textures
> incorporating 'finish {ambient 0}'.

    Unfortunately, this is so for many of the textures. Those that do
not specify an ambient value can be fixed somewhat by using the #default
directive, but several specify their own ambient values. A lot of them
were designed in older versions of POV, without things like radiosity.
As a result, you end up with glowing woods and metals, unrealistic
glass, etc. I very rarely use the includes any more, except occasionally
as a basis for a custom texture. The wood includes do not set ambient
values and provide all the parts for you to make your own, so the
#default directive will work (you will have to put it before the
#include, of course).

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/