POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : df3 with Java? : Re: df3 with Java? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: df3 with Java?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Feb 2004 16:04:14
Message: <cjameshuff-FB4DBF.16043108022004@news.povray.org>
In article <40268211$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) nolights.de> wrote:

> As I understand it, df3 isn't plain-text, but byte-code, so I'm actually
> more or less asking how I can use Java to not write plain-text, but rather
> byte-code to disk, or how I can convert doubles/floats/int/etc to byte and
> then save that.

DF3 files are binary, as opposed to text. The term "byte-code" isn't a
file type, it refers to the numeric machine codes that languages like
Java are compiled to, which is then run by the virtual machine. It has
absolutely nothing to do with the DF3 format. And yes, Java is capable
of generating DF3 files, but I'd be concerned about how well its garbage
collector can cope with the memory use required.

Typical density files use one-byte integers for the density values. You
just have to convert from whatever density range you're using to the
0-255 range possible to store in a single byte.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/