POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : macro speed : Re: macro speed Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: macro speed
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Feb 2003 16:51:44
Message: <cjameshuff-F6E999.16495417022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e5136ff@news.povray.org>, "Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom>
wrote:

> The following piece of code has two sections. The first section parses
> in 18 seconds on this computer (p3 650m). The second section parses in
> only 9 seconds!!

Yeah, the scene description language is slow. For comparison, CSDL
managed about 250000 simple loops per second on my 350MHz G3 (if I
remember right...). I haven't tested Sapphire, but it should be even
faster.

The difference is that the main POV script isn't compiled to bytecodes,
it is parsed directly, which means a lot of string operations and
jumping around the source files.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/