POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces : Re: heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:08:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 10 Jun 2003 10:08:05
Message: <cjameshuff-EE0CE5.08593510062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee56c92$1@news.povray.org>,
 Lutz-Peter Hooge <lpv### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Patched version:
> bilinear: 14s (I expected the MingW-Version to be
>                significantly slower then the official...)
> bicubic:  25s
>
> Seems to be faster (relative to bicubic) than I expected.

About twice as fast as I would have guessed...nice.

> Also no artifacts problem in the patched version :-)

Well, only very faint artifacts. A huge improvement over smoothed height
fields, but I wonder if those normal discontinuities could be removed...
Are you going to post the code somewhere?

That normalized distance method just doesn't look very effective.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/