POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds Don't Cast Shadow : Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 May 2004 11:09:33
Message: <cjameshuff-ED0E78.10094113052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40a33b95@news.povray.org>,
 Sascha Ledinsky <sas### [at] userssourceforgenet> wrote:

> In some cases using one (or more) y planes will produce better looking clouds
> than a sphere. And it's easy to animate too - you can translate the texture
> in x/z to simulate wind and in y to make the clouds change their shape...

I have never found such a case. Planes will give extremely unrealistic
horizon effects, simply because the horizon is an infinitely distant
flat line. The real world is roughly spherical, and nested spheres model
it much better than stacked planes.
Animation is no harder...you can use exactly the same translations,
because the areas where the difference becomes noticeable are far below
the horizon.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/