POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Controlling animation from within pov file : Re: Controlling animation from within pov file Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Controlling animation from within pov file
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 16 Aug 2003 11:50:19
Message: <cjameshuff-EB9F9F.10471716082003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <1fzr400.7sndjy1q98mt4N%kaveh@delete_this.focalimage.com>,
 kav### [at] delete_thisfocalimagecom (Kaveh) wrote:

> Is it possible for the .pov file to decide whether an animation is run
> and the number of frames, etc? For instance is it possible for the .pov
> file to write out an .ini file and read it back again?

No. At least, not in the same render. You could write an .ini file to be
used for subsequent renders, but this is more awkward...you would have
to edit the file, render, and then render again to start rendering the
animation.

> The reason for this is I want the user to make changes in one place
> only, not two.

You could use an external shell script, which would limit you to Unix
systems. You've mentioned you use Mac OS X, you haven't said anything
about the possibility of using other systems. Or you could combine the
approaches...use a simple shell script to automate the double-render
method. Users on other systems would just have to do this manually.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/