POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make crumpled paper : Re: How to make crumpled paper Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make crumpled paper
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Jun 2003 12:28:46
Message: <cjameshuff-E8AABC.11200808062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee31d9f$1@news.povray.org>,
 "The Brain" <rag### [at] univalde> wrote:

> My latest project is a wastepaper basket. It looks already suprising cool,
> but some really important part of it still lacks: The content.
>
> I have really no idea how to make strongly crumpled paper, and I guess it
> wouldnt be funny to stick meshes together. Is there a more intelligent way
> to fill my wastepaper basket?

I don't see how it could be humorous or not, but it certainly wouldn't
be an enjoyable experience. Short of some kind of mass-spring sheet
simulation (like some variant of the cloth patch), a mesh seems like the
best option. If you won't see it too closely, you could just ignore
things like self-intersections. You might even be able to get away with
a crackle-sphere isosurface if it is only visible from a distance. A
ball of paper is a complex object resulting from many different physical
interactions, both in the paper itself and in the hands that crumpled
it. Describing it is definitely going to be difficult.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/