POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition : Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Apr 2004 09:58:43
Message: <cjameshuff-E409E4.09591803042004@news.povray.org>
In article <406ecc03@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   At least I would disallow using an external image manipulation program
> which is unrelated and separate from the renderer.

What's the difference between doing some operation using an external
program that's unrelated to the renderer and using an external program
that's packaged along with the renderer? The resulting image and the
algorithms used to generate it may be exactly the same.

>   That way you could add all kinds of visual effects to the result
> which are not produced by rendering, such as many types of motion blur,
> glowing effects, etc etc.

Right. You could process the image in these ways with POV-Ray, as well.
Would the image be disqualified in that case?

>   What you are getting is not what the renderer produces. The image made
> by the renderer might look like crap, but after you apply all kinds of
> special effects to the image it may look great. However, it's not a
> rendered image anymore.

Isn't it? At what point does it cease to be "rendered"? What is the
difference between a raytracer applying a contrast filter pixel by pixel
as the image is traced, and doing the same operation in an external
program?

The IRTC is the Internet Ray Tracing Competition, not the Internet Ray
Tracer Competition. I'd say it is the skill of the artist at producing
images with raytracing which matters. A contrast adjustment on a blank
image won't do anything, the artist has to make an image worth viewing
first.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/