POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 6 Jan 2004 21:43:50
Message: <cjameshuff-E18E22.21435306012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ffb472d$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim.nikias (@) nolights.de> wrote:

> What I think would be needed is an adjustable reflection-feature for blurred
> reflections. AFAIK (at least thats what someone mentioned at one time)
> MegaPOV just did the "average-texture"-operation internally, which was
> faster than doing it via script.

MegaPOV motion blur did something similar, except that it traced
randomized reflection rays. The result had the same grainyness problems
as the small-normal, high-AA method, though it wasn't as slow. And the
surface shading and highlights would have been slightly less accurate,
because only the reflection component was modified, but this probably
doesn't amount to much.

> Still, if the reflection rays could, for
> example, take two values, that might be sufficient for most cases. One value
> defines the amount of reflection-rays (sample-rate) e.g. 25 or such. The
> second value defines an angle, which would define the deviation from the
> actual specular reflection. The samples would, similiar to radiosity for
> example, be spread evenly throughout the area of the angle-driven cone.

This is what MegaPOV did. You seem to know that, but you also seem to be
trying to suggest something new...am I missing something?
The only difference is that in MegaPOV, the rays weren't evenly
distributed over the cone, but fell off toward the edges...it basically
shot toward random points in a sphere, as I recall. An even angular
distribution would be more difficult...and not necessarily more
realistic.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/