POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : flourecent light : Re: flourecent light Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: flourecent light
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Mar 2003 16:20:14
Message: <cjameshuff-DDA459.16202311032003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3e6e0b4e4e36019da3d219970@news.povray.org>,
 "Jettero Heller" <pov### [at] voltar-confedorg> wrote:

> Is this doing what I hope?  I hope that I'm making a line shaped light
> source down the middle of the cylinder.  Btw, the rediculous fade is so I
> can see where it hits the walls.

One problem you will have with the area light approach is that area
lights only affect shadow calculations. Doing the full calculations for
illumination and highlights would make area lights even slower.

You could put a string of point light sources along the center of the
tube, making sure to make the tube shadowless so the light can get out.
Or you could use radiosity lighting, give the tube a high ambient and
letting radiosity spread the light through the scene. Each method will
have its limitations though.

Maybe combining all three methods would make a good tradeoff...a string
of several shorter area lights, in combination with radiosity.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/