POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion : Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:49:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Jan 2003 15:55:15
Message: <cjameshuff-DD4062.15510301012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e134ba5@news.povray.org>, "Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> Yes, and so many samples are too slow. With just a few samples, the normals
> are pointing in all kinds of wrong directions considering the true surface.

You get that no matter what. There is no way to get accurate blur with
only a few samples.

> In theory yes, sure.

In practice. In theory, you could take enough samples to get smooth
results with random/small scale normals, in practice you can't without
taking huge amounts of processing power. The recommended method uses
large scale normals, it is easier to get smooth looking results with
fewer samples.

> But as you said, more samples gives a smooth result. I
> just did an experiment based on Chris Huff's explanation: I'm rendering the
> "bolts and plugs" scene again, this time I changed the reflective textures
> to have 3 averaged normals instead of one with HQ anti-alias over the entire
> scene.. It was good at first, faster, but now it hangs at the bottom of the
> picture... This part still render and it will break the 2-hour limit
> (compared to my posted picture).

You *don't need* the high-quality AA to get a blur with this technique,
and 3 samples are far too few. You are simply doing it wrong.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/