POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Your wanted features : Re: Your wanted features Server Time
30 Jun 2024 19:34:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your wanted features
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Jun 2003 12:34:02
Message: <cjameshuff-DB81E9.11252909062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee4497b@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> > such as marching tetrahedrons.
>
>   I don't know how the marching triangles algorithm works, but the few
> bits I have read about it promise that it should give a very good result
> (probably much better than a marching cubes or one of its derivatives).
> Perhaps it should be worth trying.

Marching triangles would be an ideal general method, but quite a bit
more difficult to implement. I'll look into it, but I'm mainly focusing
on the object-specific tessellations, I planned to incorporate one of
the existing general tessellation patches. Marching tetrahedrons seems
to give fairly good results without any patent issues. The main reason
I'm writing this patch is so I can get meshes of arbitrary objects for
improved proximity pattern, curvature pattern, and glow patches.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/