POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : blob2 : Re: blob2 Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:39:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blob2
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Jul 2003 12:55:03
Message: <cjameshuff-D92D8F.11524207072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3l3igvkndgn43fn0s873ac5n040bnh3a6h@4ax.com>,
 ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> Have you tried to make the same blob2 via SDL as isosurface and compared
> results/speed? Is that possible at all?

It is possible, my original tests used isosurfaces and user-defined
functions. I haven't bothered to compare the speed before now because
the blob2 is so obviously faster. There are several optimizations that
are not possible with isosurfaces. For example, the algorithm collects
the components that are hit by the ray and usess that list during the
intersection search, while an isosurface must add every component
together for every evaluation.

Here's some timings:
tetrablob, blob: 3 seconds (4 with sturm)
tetrablob, blob2: 4 seconds
tetrablob, isosurface: 27 seconds

(Note: the isosurface seems to get some odd surface and edge blemishes
that I'm not seeing with blob2, I might be doing something with my patch
that could also be useful for isosurfaces.)

These tests aren't very good for comparing blob and blob2, but more
complex blobs become impractical to implement as isosurfaces. A blob
with 500 sphere components in a spherical cluster renders with the blob
primitive in 7 seconds, with the blob2 primitive in 16 seconds. It's a
little early to make this comparison though...I haven't implemented all
the possible optimizations for the blob2 shape.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/