POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's 90% about textures (and finishes) : Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 00:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's 90% about textures (and finishes)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Mar 2003 11:26:00
Message: <cjameshuff-D6B11E.11260207032003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] povrayorg>,
 ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> in news:cja### [at] netplexaussieorg Christopher
> James Huff wrote:
>
> You don't need automatic tesselation of all objects. Displacement
> mapping and also (sub pixel) surface subdivision, are typical features
> for triangle based objects. So why not implement them just for mesh(2)
> to begin with? Why not stretch POV-Ray's mesh-abilities to the maximum
> [1]?

True, and I agree that it would be useful. It just doesn't seem complete
without a way to turn other primitives into meshes, either explicitly or
hidden behind a deformation feature.
And it's still a lot of work.

> [1] ... and why only mesh-abilities? What about, for example, blobs?
> box-blob, spline-blob, torus-blob(section), blob calculation methods
> ...? Let me guess, the awnser will probably be "you can do that with
> isosurfaces". As a user, that is not good enough for me (within
> limits). When I start building a blob object and feel the need for a

> isosurface.

You can do that with isosurfaces. ;-)
More blob component types would be very nice, but the math is pretty
complex, there aren't many people who understand it. What you want is
probably possible, but you'll have to find someone who knows how to
implement it.
You might be interested in one of my other projects though. I've been
working on an updated blob pattern, using a smooth blob function...no
more abrupt changes in shading and reflections when using it as an
isosurface. Isosurfaces with this function are much faster than the
equivalent function written with user-defined functions, but could be
made even faster with a new "blob2" primitive, which would use an
isosurface-type solving method with additional optimizations, such as
only computing the components that can affect the ray. Making all the
component types you talked about would be very easy (several of them are
already implemented partially), and you could even use user-defined
functions as well, though you would have to bound them manually or leave
them without bounds.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/