POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where's my chromatic dispersion? : Re: Where's my chromatic dispersion? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where's my chromatic dispersion?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 8 Mar 2004 21:25:52
Message: <cjameshuff-D5A403.21255108032004@news.povray.org>
In article <863### [at] duchesstwilleyorg>,
 Jack Twilley <jmt+use### [at] twilleyorg> wrote:

> I expected to get a rainbow pattern on the target, but instead the
> light passes directly through the prism without refracting or
> reflecting in any noticeable way.

Hmm...I see a rainbow. Even in the image you gave. Do you expect it to
be spread out more?
First, your dispersion_samples is quite high, and your photon count a
bit low. I dropped dispersion_samples to 20, and raised photon count to
5000000, the result was a clearer looking rainbow spot. Second, 1.2 is a
pretty low ior for glass, I replaced it with 1.4, and raised dispersion
to 1.06 and the light source brightness to 5 in order to exaggerate the
effect.

BTW, the maximum max_trace_level is 256, 20000 is a little high.

> The "+A +AM2 +R7 +J" don't seem to really matter, though, because I
> get effectively the same results without the added settings, and it
> takes seven seconds instead of thirteen minutes on my machine.

It will make no difference as far as dispersion is concerned. As for the
speed...you could probably get a big improvement in speed by lowering
the recursion level. 7 is quite deep for this, lower recursions can
usually give good results with much less of an impact on speed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/