POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offloading some calculations to a GPU : Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 13 Jun 2003 18:51:28
Message: <cjameshuff-D0780B.17425613062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3eea3d3c@news.povray.org>,
 "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

> > This has been done
> > before, and is actually slower on modern systems (there was a thread
> > about it recently on comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing). You go through
> > a lot of contortions to get it to work, and get a more limited, lower
> > quality, slower renderer as a result. Now do you see why?

Crap...thought I was replying to something else, and was thinking of
64-bit fixed-point here. Single-precision floating point isn't slower,
and even when the instructions execute in the same time, they take less
cache and RAM space.

> I also checked the images to test quality, but found
> no discernable difference. No gaps, nothing.

Well, the scenes you tried only used planes, triangles, and spheres,
which aren't very precision sensitive. I think you'd have a lot harder
time with something like a torus, and a more complex, "real-world" scene.

> As for the primitives, yeah, Tachyon doesn't
> have the complex ones, but if it has enough,
> and one can get SIMD or GPU assist in the bargain,
> then that's not a bad little raytracer for some projects.
> I wouldn't mind having a "turbo option" for simple
> scenes in POV-Ray.

This would be extremely unlikely to happen...it would create a lot more
maintenance work. Many things would have to be separately tuned,
rewritten, or completely disabled for the single-precision version.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/