POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media Help : Re: Media Help Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media Help
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Mar 2004 23:42:36
Message: <cjameshuff-CCE766.23430228032004@news.povray.org>
In article <40675cd8$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> Where I suggested to raise the densities: special attention for the
> spherical pattern since scaling it larger will also thicken the media,
> keeping in mind that media densities should be inverse to scaling. In this
> case, using the values already given for the spherical part and ten times
> for the bozo part should work good.

To clarify: scaling does not affect the media density. A ray passing
through the center of a media-filled 1-unit sphere will pass through 2
units of media. The same ray passing through that sphere scaled to 2
units radius will pass through 4 units of the same media, so you will
have to halve the density to obtain the same result.

POV can't compensate automatically because the transformation may affect
the scale differently in different directions. For instance: say you
scale the sphere by < 1, 0.1, 1>. From the sides, the density will
appear the same, but from the top, it will be 1/10 as thick.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/