POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : stereo image creation : Re: stereo image creation Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:08:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stereo image creation
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Apr 2004 14:53:12
Message: <cjameshuff-C9242E.14534602042004@news.povray.org>
In article <406dbcda$1@news.povray.org>, "Harold" <bai### [at] 3dculturecom>
wrote:

> Okay, I have to admit my ignorance. I don't know how modifying
> the direction vector affects the image.

It basically makes the image projection asymmetrical. A typical
perspective camera puts the image plane centered on and perpendicular to
the view axis. Rays come from the camera and pass through a point in
this plane corresponding to that point in the image being rendered.
Shearing the direction vector is like pushing the view plane to one
side, it is the same as rendering a larger image and cropping part off
one edge.

Hmm, while looking for a graphic to illustrate this, I found a page
which describes this technique, calling it "off-axis projection":
http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~matt/courses/cs563/talks/stereohtml/stereo.html

And another page, comparing the pros and cons:
http://www-lsi.upc.es/~lucac/projects/stereopsis/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/