POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media emission as true light source? : Re: Media emission as true light source? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media emission as true light source?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Feb 2003 14:26:36
Message: <cjameshuff-C475C6.14234004022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3e3ffebcc7b69b7a1c4fca030@news.povray.org>,
 "Neil Conway" <nei### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> All I really need is to have a volumetric emission source (e.g. my plasma)
> with proper reflections from the walls etc.  Isn't that what Tom's example
> does?  (I haven't figured out Warp's example very thoroughly yet.)

You really need to define your problem more clearly: what do you mean by
"proper reflections"? What is your goal, a picture that looks like the
interior of the tokamak, or an actual simulation? If the latter is the
case, a custom raytracer will probably be needed.

POV is currently only capable of handling diffuse reflections of light
emitted by media, such as light bouncing off a sheet of paper, or media
seen directly. Specular reflections, like light bouncing off a mirror,
are not handled. It techni cally would be possible: fire photons in
random directions from random locations in the media container, but it
would be extremely CPU and memory intensive to get good accuracy. If you
want to take scattering and absorption of the media into account instead
of just emission, it would would take massive amounts of processing
power...it is probably impractical on any existing hardware.

However, if everything in the scene (except the plasma) is highly
reflective, these photons would have little contribution. Ordinary
raytracing can handle this situation pretty accurately, photons mainly
exist for caustics and radiosity for diffusely scattered light. Straight
raytracing and radiosity will cover most effects.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/