POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Plotting points on a sphere? : Re: Plotting points on a sphere? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plotting points on a sphere?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Jan 2003 09:09:29
Message: <cjameshuff-C37430.09052002012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e13cfc6@news.povray.org>,
 "Jessie K. Blair" <lor### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> I have a sphere shaped object that I wish to place many smaller spheres
> around.  I want the smaller spheres to be plotted on the points of
> intersection of the wireframe that a sphere would consist of, allowing the
> smaller spheres to be placed in a spherical shape around the first sphere
> object.

You need to be a bit more specific...there are many ways to tessellate a
sphere. You place them with spherical coordinates, at the crossings of
latitude/longitude lines. You could place them at the vertices of a
polyhedron generated by recursively splitting the triangles of a regular
tetrahedron or octahedron. You could place them in grids on the faces of
a sphere that is then projected to the surface of the sphere. And
probably some others I haven't thought of yet.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/