POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : surface area of objects : Re: surface area of objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: surface area of objects
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Dec 2004 10:21:21
Message: <cjameshuff-C31CF5.10214911122004@news.povray.org>
In article <41ba0d45@news.povray.org>,
 Samuel Hoffstaetter <sho### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> is there any simple way to let povray calculate the surface area and volume
> of an object?
> For example, for a buoy, whose mass depends on it's surface area, it's
> displacement beneath the water surface could be calculated very easily if
> there were functions to calculate the volume & surface area of the buoy in
> povray.
> of course I could calculate this manually also, but it would be a lot easier
> if povray could do this.

There is no easy, general method for doing so, and for some objects
there are multiple ways to define "surface area". For example, do you
count both sides of a triangle? Do you count the inner surface of an
open-ended cylinder? And how do you compute the area of a julia fractal?
Volume also has some problems...not all shapes have a finite volume, and
how do you define it for open objects?

However, given some knowledge about the object, you can use the
scripting capabilities of the POV-Ray scene description language to get
a numeric approximation. It should be pretty easy to compute both
surface area and volume for a more or less cylindrical shape with a few
loops and trace() calls, for example.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/