POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : (vector) sum of two objects : Re: (vector) sum of two objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:32:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (vector) sum of two objects
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2003 17:10:22
Message: <cjameshuff-B88E28.17102824042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3EA### [at] matumde>, Achill <ach### [at] matumde>
wrote:

> Converting arbitrary point sets into meshes or surfaces is a difficult
> task (known as "surface reconstruction"). Are there algorithms for this
> task used with (or in) povray?

I am aware of the difficulties, but there don't seem to be many
alternatives...as far as I can tell, you would only be able to use the
vertex information and would get a field of points, losing all
"connectivity" information. POV does not use any algorithms like this
and they would probably be difficult and slow to implement in the scene
description language. As I mentioned, it is possible to test rays
against a point field instead...this may be a better idea, but would
require implementing a point field primitive for POV.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/