POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : uv mapping for isosurfaces - when? : Re: uv mapping for isosurfaces - when? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv mapping for isosurfaces - when?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Feb 2005 15:37:44
Message: <cjameshuff-B7F0FA.15374922022005@news.povray.org>
In article <421b6daf@news.povray.org>,
 "Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] studentkuleuvenacbe> wrote:

> "Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> > There are many surfaces that simply can't be seamlessly mapped to a 2D
> > plane. The sphere is the simplest example. How would your hypothetical
> > algorithm UV map a sphere?
>
> I'm confused, uv-mapping a sphere isn't difficult, is it?

It's very easy, there are several ways to do it, but none are seamless,
and I see no reasonable way for a general algorithm to automatically UV
map a sphere. You need to specifically specify that you want to use a
sphere mapping.

The basic problem is this...given a point where u and v coordinates are
zero, and basis vectors for the u and v axii at that point, what are the
UV coordinates at some other point? That's all the information you have,
unless you somehow collect other information beforehand. You don't have
the sphere center or radius, because you don't know it's a sphere. You
could probably do some analysis of the surface to determine if it's
close enough to spherical and find the approximate center, but that's
slow, complicated, unreliable, and you'll need to make additional
special cases for other basic shapes.

The only reasonable solution is to require the user to specify what he
wants. That's only slightly awkward to do with function patterns...it's
worse with things like image_maps though. A general (not specific to
isosurfaces) user-defined UV mapping using functions could be useful,
but it's hardly a critical feature.

--
Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] gmailcom>
http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/