POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting for Bright Sunlight : Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Mar 2004 22:49:16
Message: <cjameshuff-B76C0F.22501703032004@news.povray.org>
In article <4043dbc4$1@news.povray.org>,
 "John M. Dlugosz" <wtb### [at] sneakemailcom> wrote:

> Both in the same place?  I see; that gives you lighter shadows.

Hmm. I always set the default texture to have an ambient of 0 and
diffuse of 1. I then usually put a dim white shadowless fill light at
the camera location...edges still get shaded, so it doesn't flatten the
scene out like ambient light. Nice for test renders: it doesn't hide the
geometry of an object, and illuminates everything that's visible.
Depending on the scene, I'll disable it or dim it further, and use
radiosity for the final render.

In this case, you are using the second light to simulate scattered
sky-light. Radiosity will do an actual optical simulation of this, but a
shadowless blueish light in the general area of the greatest amount of
visible sky can give similar results. A slightly yellowish light and one
or more blue-tinted lights at separate positions can give the scene a
lot more depth, but a blue sky and radiosity will do a better job.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/