POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : intersystem ship sales and service shop? : Re: intersystem ship sales and service shop? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: intersystem ship sales and service shop?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Jan 2003 14:18:08
Message: <cjameshuff-B033B0.14162827012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e355673$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Wilcox" <awi### [at] unpuzzledcom> wrote:

> Pluto's a bit far.  Even just going to the moon would be a huge task.

And yet we were able to do it decades ago, and now have probes
approaching the shock front where the solar wind hits interstellar
space. Getting a small probe to Pluto within a couple years or even
months would not be impossible with present technology, though it would
be little more than an engine and fuel tank, a serious scientific probe
would be heavier and slower. Build things in orbit so they don't have to
survive liftoff stresses, and you can get a lot lighter. You can also
pack a lot more fuel for the journey when you don't have to use so much
getting off Earth.
He didn't give a timeline or any idea of infrastructure, but it is
possible. Only thing is, there is little of commercial interest out
there, a few unmanned probes would be all I expect. Everything else
would concentrate in the asteroid belt and gas giants, particularly
Jupiter and Saturn.

BTW, "insystem" would be a better term, "intersystem" would be travel
between systems, not within one system.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/