POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : saving heightfields between frames : Re: saving heightfields between frames Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: saving heightfields between frames
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 May 2003 16:47:06
Message: <cjameshuff-AC55B2.16464004052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3eb574c2@news.povray.org>,
 "Barron Gillon" <gil### [at] purdueedu> wrote:

> This may be a newbie question, but...  Is there a way to save a heightfield
> between frames of an animation so I don't have to rebuild it every single
> frame?  It occurs to me that most of the time spent rendering my current
> animation goes toward rebuilding the same heightfield over and over again.
> Any help would be much appreciated!

Building a height field does not usually take much time, and it is
unlikely for any saved version to load much faster. A simple scene with
a 1600*1200 height field takes less than a second to parse on this
350MHz machine. Are you talking about the height field macros in
shapes.inc? The mechanism for saving those is pretty well explained in
the documentation: use something other than "" for the filename.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/