POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rotating rotations : Re: Rotating rotations Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rotating rotations
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Jun 2003 21:43:42
Message: <cjameshuff-AAC99D.20362804062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3ede817cee8e2779fa0d47600@news.povray.org>,
 "neb" <neb### [at] qismorg> wrote:

> I still have yet to look through transforms.inc, but Im doing this part in
> C++ anyway.

It would have helped if you had given some indication of this.

> I really need a way to turn it iinto a single rotation, as it
> is not simply two rotations, but an arbitrarily large number of rotations.

And this method, adapted to use some vector math library, will work for
an arbitrarily large number of rotations. That's the primary reason POV
uses matrices for transforms: all you need is one relatively small set
of numbers to describe any sequence of transformations.

> I would simply plan on every turn converting the two into one, then making
> nother turn. If this turns out to be too difficult (I already have my self,
> my father, and my math teacher working on this) there is still a saving
> grace. Every rotation for this project is a multiple of 90 degrees,
> simplifying much and allowing for an ugly and non-general solution.

The usual method seems to be to convert to quaternions or matrices and
convert back to Euler angles after combining. However, the odds are high
that the matrix or quaternion is what you really want. You haven't
actually said what you have in mind.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/