POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Permanent glows in MegaPov : Re: Permanent glows in MegaPov Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:44:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Permanent glows in MegaPov
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Jul 2003 11:16:05
Message: <cjameshuff-AA6815.10092521072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f179370$1@news.povray.org>,
 "David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the glows have to be part of an object.  The readout display
> is on a tray that is meant to roll from one end of a basin to another (macro
> sets position).  The whole main object, a type of operating table with a
> central drain in the basin, is meant to be replicated with differing
> readouts (macro combined with random seed pulls this off).

Well, you can't have glows as part of an object (currently). However,
you could use transformations to make them follow the object along. This
takes a bit of a different construction method, but is possible...

> The glows are meant to indicate which lights are on as I have yet to find a
> better solution.  Media, either scattering or emitting, is useless.  The
> lights are meant to be colored plastic bulbs (filter 1) that show up when
> lit, but the light source has little if any effect on the surface.  Any
> suggestions (code preferred)?

Try small spheres with transparent textures and highlights, each with a
light source inside. This method has its flaws, but is a cheap and quick
way of doing a relatively small number of glows.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/