POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tweaking PoV-Ray's epsilon value? : Re: Tweaking PoV-Ray's epsilon value? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tweaking PoV-Ray's epsilon value?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 18 Oct 2003 22:20:35
Message: <cjameshuff-A8FCB0.22182318102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3F8F0EF0.83A66CBE@gmx.de>,

> Is there a not too complicated way to modify the range of orders of
> magnitude to, let's say 1e-8 to 1e13, so that everything from amoeba to
> Pluto's orbit can be rendered within one scene, by hacking the code?

No. Not generally, anyway. The epsilon and infinity limits could
probably be loosened a little without problems, but in general are
needed. Remember that intermediate values for the computations can go
quite a bit higher than the parameters you specify for the objects, and
can easily exceed the precision of the computer. If you really need this
range of precision, you should probably render the large-scale parts
separately from the small-scale parts and composite them together...but
I can't imagine why you would need this. In any image where a structure
the size of Pluto is visible, you aren't likely to see anything the size
of an ameboa.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/