POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : coincident isosurfaces and noise : Re: coincident isosurfaces and noise Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: coincident isosurfaces and noise
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jan 2004 23:13:43
Message: <cjameshuff-A8E688.23140617012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <4009d739@news.povray.org>,
 Bill Hails <bil### [at] europeyahoo-inccom> wrote:

> I would assume that if I have two isosurfaces
> that are coincident along a line, say the top
> of a cylinder oriented along x touching a y plane,
> and if I add or subtract the same noise function
> to both isosurfaces, say f_noise3d, then the
> resulting surfaces would still be coincident
> (along a now distorted line).

I'm not really sure what you want. You have a cylinder resting on a
plane, and want a deformed cylinder resting on a deformed plane?
Within limits, adding noise to the cylinder function is equivalent to
varying the radius of the cylinder, adding it to the plane function
varies the height of the plane. I think you are expecting it to always
move a given point on the surface in the same direction by the same
distance. For that, you will need to perturb the coordinates given to
the function...the easiest way would be to use warps:

function {pattern {function {...} turbulence ...}}

Apply the same warp to both isosurfaces, and they will be deformed in
the same way.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/