POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The sun and stars : Re: The sun and stars Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The sun and stars
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Apr 2003 11:20:46
Message: <cjameshuff-A8CB78.11204521042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ea40516@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Even here on Earth, if you are in a brightly lit room your eyes are
> adapted to the brightness (the size of the pupils and all that stuff)
> and it's difficult to see many stars outside, even if it's a dark and
> clear night. You need to turn off all lights and wait until your eyes
> adapt to the darkness before you begin seeing lots of stars.

In that case, the brightness is on your side of the glass, so glare
masks many of them. Open the window and you can see more stars. Also,
your eyes move around, adapting to what they are looking at, and have a
wider dynamic range than most cameras. Just immediately after opening a
door and walking out of a brightly lit room, I can see many stars, and
on the Moon there isn't an atmosphere to absorb and scatter so much
light. From what I've read, the stars are quite brilliant when viewed
from the Moon.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/