POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Media in Povray 3.5 : Re: Media in Povray 3.5 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media in Povray 3.5
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 16 Feb 2003 15:29:46
Message: <cjameshuff-A77C0A.15282616022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e4fdd8e$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Tim Nikias" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> I'm not so sure about that, I may be wrong. As I understand it,
> samples/intervals/method are an approach on how to calculate the
> actual media, they don't represent "particles" of the media
> itself.

There are no particles, media only considers total density over a ray.
The closest thing to a "particle" is a single media sample. Intervals
and sampling methods simply control number and location of samples.

> An you may be right about that density being just a multiplier, though
> I'm not quiet sure if different densities don't have a different effect
> than just multiplying the scattering/absorption/emission values...

Multiple medias add together, multiple densities multiply. That part of
the code is quite simple and clear, and the documentation backs it up.

> Does someone have true insight into this (since you wrote "Should be,
> anyway", I assuming you're not quiet sure about this either)?

The media code is a bit messy..."tangled" would be a good way to
describe it. Lots of stuff in there for things like the different
sampling methods, it is not always easy to figure out the exact effects.

But the only places those values are used are as multipliers for the
density, the only place the density is used is where it is multiplied by
those values, and I am certain that was what was intended. If the
results are not the same (you implied you had tried it and got different
results), it most likely is a bug caused by something I'm not seeing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/