POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow : Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray just doesn't fit in a production workflow
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 27 Dec 2003 21:36:28
Message: <cjameshuff-A6FAF0.21363527122003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fe68984$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Micheal \(Mike\) Williams" <mic### [at] quixnetnet> wrote:

> I was not sure how it would work either but I can tell you there is a
> differance and that Lightwave shows the Norms as being in the center of the
> Poly.

It may just be that LW just calculates the vertex normals from the face
normals...to do otherwise would seem to be a lot of work for little or
no reward.

> If there a lot of long nerrow triangles lightwave will mess up the
> smoothing. POVRay gets them perfect. I was only guessing at the idea that it
> must be the difference in how each handles Norms.

Vertex normals aren't perfect in all situations either. Consider a cone
formed of a fan of triangles. Each triangle has only one vertex at the
point of the cone. You will have as many normals as triangles at that
point, and no interpolation between them...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/