POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : blummin Media headache again! : Re: blummin Media headache again! Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blummin Media headache again!
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Jul 2004 13:23:09
Message: <cjameshuff-A69229.12232607072004@news.povray.org>
In article <opsarz4stqefp2ch@news.povray.org>,
 "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote:

> Might be bad phrasing on my part I'm not arguing with you I'm am genuinely
> trying to understand this, the ambient light_source has no point source
> how does Povray calculate the angle of the light ray from the surface in
> order to sample along it?

It doesn't. Ambient light does not come from any direction, that's why
it makes things flat colored instead of shaded.

> lets put it another way. I shine a parallel
> light into a scattering media box that has a hole cut in it, the result is
> a 'light beam' through the media, I now substitute the parallel
> light_source for an ambient 1 plane will this still produce the 'light
> beam' with radiosity enabled. Hmm just tried it,seems to be a no.

No, it won't. Radiosity does not affect media, doing so would be either
extremely slow or memory consuming. However, media can optionally affect
radiosity. This is slow, but workable.

> Ah here we are, what are they seen with?

They block light. Scattering media without direct light is essentially
absorbing media.

> All I can assume is that with
> radiosity a ray is being produced as a reflection from the surface from
> the ambient light_source to any surrounding surfaces and that the media
> affects this or uses this to sample along. I saw this when I altered a
> scattering media in front of an ambient 1 object and saw the apparent
> brightness drop, however the media was not illuminated around the object.
> In the code previously the media was red scattering with an white ambient,
> if the radiosity was being affected by the media why did the object
> continue to appear white when it should have been red?

This assumption is wrong. It can't work this way...at least, not in a
reasonable period of time. What you describe would be how a forward
raytracer would do it. Global photon mapping could do the job, but the
memory requirements would be huge.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/