POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scope of identifiers in nested Macros : Re: Scope of identifiers in nested Macros Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scope of identifiers in nested Macros
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Jan 2004 13:05:36
Message: <cjameshuff-A556CE.13053902012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ff489d3$1@news.povray.org>,
 Florian Brucker <tor### [at] torfboldcom> wrote:

> >   I think this should be explained in the documentation if it's not already.
> IMHO an implementation like the documentation is described would be
> better that updating the documentation. I think the current behaviour is
> not at all intuitive and can create errors which are very hard to spot.
> Although I have to admit that I have never encountered this error before :)

It is also very useful. Look at the Isect() and Extents() macros in
shapes.inc, which use this feature to return multiple values.
Things could be clarified quite a bit, though. This is what I would do:

#declare always declares a global variable. Actually, deprecate #declare
and use #global instead. #local always declares a local variable.

If either #declare or #local are used with an existing variable, a
warning is emitted. Existing variables are modified with a #set or #
directive, which require an existing variable:

#local J = 0;
#while(J < 10)
    #set J = J + 1;
or
    #J = J + 1;
#end

#macro Foo(Param)
    #local Param = Param + 1;
#end
Would produce a warning and replace the parameter Param with the local
version, leaving the original unaffected.

#macro Foo(Param)
    #declare Param = Param + 1;
#end
Would only produce a warning if a global variable named Param already
existed. It would create that global variable and leave the parameter
unaffected.

#macro Foo(Param)
    #set Param = Param + 1;
#end
Would modify the parameter itself.

This also avoids odd typo errors. This code would loop infinitely:
#local I = 0;
#while(I < 10)
    #local l = I + 1;
#end

This version would give an immediate error:
#local I = 0;
#while(I < 10)
    #set l = I + 1;
#end

The #set keyword is part of the MegaPOV patch collection, but the rest
of it would break backwards compatibility too much to be included.
Unless a new keyword were used for declaring local variables...hmm. How
does this sound?

#declare, #local: obsolete, deprecated, but unchanged in operation for
backwards compatibility.
#global, #def or #define, #set: as described above, with #def declaring
a local variable.

Well, I just wanted to say that the pass by reference is actually a
useful feature...guess I got carried away.

> BTW, any chance the POV-Syntax will be extended with a include-file-wide
> identifier scope? Something like (In an include file):

This already exists: variables defined as #local outside a macro are
local to the include file.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/