POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion : Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:54:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.0 suggestion
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Jan 2003 12:49:49
Message: <cjameshuff-A3488D.12453601012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e132127@news.povray.org>, "Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> I've tried both the 'averaging' method and the 'microfacet' method, and I
> clearly prefer the microfacets. So again, a patch is not needed. But it's
> possible that even the microfacets could be speed up, by evaluating the rest
> of the texture only once. To avoid confusion let me note, what I mean by
> microfacets: One normal, scaled very small, but evaluated many times due to
> HQ anti-alias.

That has practically the same result as using the average texture method
with a small-scaled normal, only slower and less efficient. You seem to
misunderstand things: the average texture method simulates microfacets
too, it just keeps the supersampling to the blurry surface.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/