POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : But *how* to do the constant energy solution for particle physics? : Re: But *how* to do the constant energy solution for particle physics? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: But *how* to do the constant energy solution for particle physics?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Feb 2004 11:32:52
Message: <cjameshuff-9D42D1.11334729022004@news.povray.org>
In article <404178f6$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> Take a "sun".
> Take any mass and throw it in any direction not exactly at its center at any
> velocity.
>
> If the mass doesn't sink into the sun,  will it:
>
> i)  undertake an "orbit"  "right there" in the sense that it will undertake
> an elliptical orbit which intersects that point of release,

In a 2-mass system, just the sun and the orbiting mass, it will either
do exactly that or escape the system entirely.

> OR
> ii) will a particle "destined" for a stable orbit sometimes "drift" out
> towards the radius of its stable orbit.

2 body systems are stable. Maybe you're mistakenly thinking of
elliptical orbits as unstable?

> If I had  been much, much more patient, might some of those orbits which
> looked like they were decaying be just wandering off to something "close
> enough" to their own stable orbit?

If a 2-body system drifts significantly, it is your simulation which is
unstable. In the real world, none of the planets in our solar system
follow perfect elliptical orbits, and they do drift around and transfer
energy to each other, but the level of instability is too small to
matter. When the sun goes into its red giant stage and swallows up the
inner planets, they will still be in very similar orbits to what they
have today.

The p2 = p1 + v1*dt + 1/2*a1*(dt^2) equation will give a more accurate
simulation than p2 = p1 + v1*dt, but for my simulation of the inner 5
planets, I found it insufficient. The two-step method I described was
sufficient, the simulation was stable for at least several decades
without trying very hard.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/