POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : assumed_gamma : Re: assumed_gamma Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:08:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Jun 2003 14:57:14
Message: <cjameshuff-9284A1.13483305062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3edf63f2$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Slashdolt" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecom> wrote:

> Thanks for the information, and thanks to everyone else for providing input.
>
> Howerver, if you look at <povray>\scenes\incdemo\woods\woods2.pov, they set
> the "assumed_gamma" to 2.2.  If you use assumed_gamma 1.0 for any of the
> T_Wood textures, they are way too bright, and many look purplish.  For that
> reason, I generally don't use any of them, and create my own wood textures
> instead.

Those textures probably predate versions of POV-Ray with gamma
correction. They were designed to look good on a screen with a gamma of
2.2, so they are already "corrected" for that gamma, and applying the
gamma correction just screws them up. This is why you can use other
values for assumed_gamma: support of older scenes designed without gamma
correction. The include file should probably be corrected or at least
give a warning.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/