POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Your wanted features : Re: Your wanted features Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:52:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your wanted features
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 Jun 2003 12:23:27
Message: <cjameshuff-8C2F99.11144505062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3edf5ebd7e2b69fbaa7c54710@news.povray.org>,
 "Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Bicubic texture filtering. There is actually a #DECLARE statement for cubic
> filtering in the POV source, but there is no implementation that uses it.

That shouldn't be too hard.

> Fractal texture filtering. I've seen a sample image that has been resized
> using fractal interpolation, and did it ever look good.

Aside from being highly complex to implement, this would probably slow
things down a lot. You'd be better off resizing outside of POV, and
using a computationally cheaper method in the rendering.

> Displacement mapping. I've read a bit about it in a magazine (although this
> article was about it in DirectX 9), and it sounds like it would be quite
> useful in POVRay. Add a displacement{} block with the appropriate contents,
> just like the normal{} one.

This one has been discussed a *lot*. To summarize: it is possible, but
is far from simple. General displacement would require tessellation of
all objects, which is possible but a real pain to implement.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/