POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light beam, laser, noise... : Re: Light beam, laser, noise... Server Time
4 Aug 2024 18:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light beam, laser, noise...
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Feb 2003 21:01:17
Message: <cjameshuff-8B9FCD.20564328022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e600b54@news.povray.org>,

> http://www.mbork.de/bsp/bsp_2.htm
>
> He said that this was rendered in Pov3.0, and it cannot be done the same
> way with newer Pov.  Anyone got an idea to make a such light ray ?

It is not impossible to do the same way, it's just that there's a better
way. Instead of multiple light sources or cylinders of glowing media,
pov can simulate the paths photons actually travel through the scene.
Look in the documentation for the photon mapping feature, and the
optics.pov demo scene.

> Also, I'd like to get my renderings a little bit "dirtier" : is it
> possible to add a subtle grainy effect (like the grain of a film in the
> photography world) to the entiere rendering ?

The best way is to do things like use normals and grainy patterns, and
otherwise try to get dirty textures. There are ways to add a flat noise
to the image, but it does not make the scene itself look more real, it
is more of a film effect.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/