POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : looks_like? : Re: looks_like? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: looks_like?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Oct 2003 22:31:24
Message: <cjameshuff-8B157B.22290211102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f871c85@news.povray.org>,
 "Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> Well, I was about to go ahead and take it for granted that this is true. I
> just had to see it for myself. I didn't find any shadows from other light
> sources, whether the looks_like object is semi-transparent or opaque.

Hmm, that makes it pretty useless...apparently no different than a union
of a light source and a shadowless object.

> Also, only has self-shadowing on a per primitive basis too. In a
> union of sphere and cone, for example, each doesn't cast a shadow
> onto  the other.

I'm not sure if you're describing what it does or what it should
do...are you saying look_like objects cast shadows on themselves but not
on other objects?

Unions are kind of tricky...they are internally split up into separate
objects to make bounding more efficient. Manually bounding the union
will disable this behavior unless the split unions option
(Split_Unions=on or +SU for non-Mac versions) is turned on, in which
case even bounded unions will be split. This burned me when I was
experimenting with the proximity and curvature patterns...I have no idea
how it interacts with looks_like, I'd need to take a close look at the
code.

Anyway, I'd suggest you just use a union of the light source with the
object representing the light. This gives you most control over what
actually happens...you can make specific parts shadowless, etc. If we're
going to talk about what looks_like *should* do, I think it should
behave in exactly the same way as a union with the light source, but
changing it at this point would probably cause more problems than it
solves.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/