POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The sun and stars : Re: The sun and stars Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The sun and stars
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Apr 2003 16:13:30
Message: <cjameshuff-86960F.16132920042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ea1aab9@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Space movies are always unrealistic in this matter. There planets and
> stars are perfectly visible all alike, which can't be achieved with any
> ordinary photographing device. (In theory you would need some kind of
> digital device which analyzes the image and corrects the exposure in
> different parts of the image depending on their brightness.)

Well, they would be an unrealistic representation of what you would get
from a present-day video camera, that doesn't make them unrealistic.

If I were designing a video camera for use in this kind of environment,
I'd use multiple cameras with different settings and composite them
together, or try to find a sensor with sufficient dynamic range. It
could be as simple as a thin layer on the CCD that changes local opacity
depending on the brightness of light on it. It could be passive, like
today's color changing sunglasses, or an active liquid crystal filter.
Or you could make a filter that varies in opacity evenly over the entire
filter, and just take consecutive frames at different opacity levels,
processing them together into the final image as you would with multiple
cameras.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/