POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Clouds Don't Cast Shadow : Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clouds Don't Cast Shadow
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 May 2004 15:53:33
Message: <cjameshuff-867287.14534314052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40a3f2e6@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Do you really think it's a good idea to widespread a simple misconception
> without even saying anything about it (eg. something like "note that this
> will not give you realistic clouds" etc)?

I did not see such a note on your suggestion to use planes. ;-)

I still stand by my suggestion: a large sphere for the ground, and one
or more nested spheres for the sky, all centered at the same point far
below the scene. I find the infinite horizon effects very annoying, and
using fog to conceal it often doesn't work very well.

>   I wonder why is it so common to put clouds on a giant sphere which is
> centered at the camera (or very close to it). Earth clouds certainly
> aren't positioned that way. What makes people think they are?

The same reason people insisted for ages that the Earth was the center
of the universe.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/