POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Flux : Re: Flux Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Flux
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 29 Oct 2003 22:38:52
Message: <cjameshuff-85E877.22365429102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3fa072eb@news.povray.org>,
 "Yann" <[antispam]rollin***@mit..edu))> wrote:

> more specificaly, I would like to encode the flux of a certain vector field
> V by a color along a surface. Are you telling me that there is no simple way
> to do that with POVRAY?

An interesting idea...but there is no simple way to do this in the
general case. You could do it for meshes easily enough, just do it
per-vertex.

> Could I modify afterward the color returned by the slope pattern, according
> to the length of V?

Slope returns a floating point scalar, not a color. And you can't alter
the slope vector with a function. And the slope pattern itself will not
work in a function, it needs to be applied to a surface. So you probably
can't do what you want...

> As you see, I am quite reluctant to learn how to use povman patch.

It is probably the simplest and best way of doing what you want. You
could of course patch in normal parameters to function patterns, or just
patch in your flux pattern/pigment directly. (An interesting idea for a
pattern: use the angle between the surface normal and the gradient of a
function.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/