POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can't work out the right scale/translate : Re: Can't work out the right scale/translate Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can't work out the right scale/translate
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 7 Jul 2004 17:14:54
Message: <cjameshuff-81E91B.16145307072004@news.povray.org>
In article <opsaret2miefp2ch@news.povray.org>,
 "Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote:

> Well commenting out assumed_gamma produces a darker image on the 'gate'
> with no Display_Gamma set, so default gamma correction of 2.2 is in use.

No, gamma correction is off by default. (At least, it's supposed to be.)
It gets turned on when you include assumed_gamma in the global settings.

> Just to check this I changed the two planes in "Magic Gate2.pov" to the
> same colour as that in "Magic Gate1.pov" and ran it both ways, without
> assumed_gamma produces a noticeable difference.
> I've posted a tiny file in p.b.images to show the differences.

Weird. If you want the rendered image to appear the same as the original
map, you obviously don't want any gamma correction to be done...the
corrected version won't be the same. Your image doesn't show the
original map, so I can't compare...but the fact that it shows up
differently from the surrounding scene, which should be the same color
pre-correction, is very odd.

What formats are you using? It may be an artifact of however POV and
your other image software handles gamma values in PNG images. You should
get the effect you want if you render the map without an assumed_gamma
value, and the final image with assumed_gamma 1.

> > Anyway, in addition to setting ambient to 1, you should set diffuse to
> > 0, so light from scene illumination won't wash out the image.
>
> diffuse 0 doesn't seem to make a difference but of course might once I
> start changing the landscape.

Try shining a bright light on the gate.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>