POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bump map disables smoothing of heightfield? : Re: Bump map disables smoothing of heightfield? Server Time
10 Sep 2024 05:40:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bump map disables smoothing of heightfield?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Jun 2003 18:21:31
Message: <cjameshuff-7C1CD8.17141504062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ede195b$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Actually, I have been wondering if this would work, too.  However, I am
> skeptical if this would have the desired effect because the "smooth" effect
> depends on the surface normal and averaging it would most likely undo the
> "smooth" effect.  It might be worth trying with different contributions,
> though...

Just use the smoothed normal as input the the bump_map() function. It
should be perturbed just like any other normal. If the normals line up
seamlessly before being perturbed, they should remain seamless
afterwards. Of course, the perturbing pattern itself will be evaluated
over the flat surface of the triangle, which can probably give visible
effects in some odd cases, but my feeling is that this will be rare.
I'm not sure what averaging you're speaking of, or how it could undo
smoothing. It should "just work".
BTW, where is the code that does this?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg